Monday 22 October 2012

Brian Cooke





I recently came across the work of illustrator Brian Cooke in this beautiful little book full of paintings of the British landscape. He illustrated a series of guides published by the Batsford press in the 1930's - 1950's.
His work ranged massively, from quite pared-down, subtley coloured English villages to wildly vivid views of evening light hitting the hills, with some of the most amazing colour!












My favourite is this view of a castle looking out over a Scottish loch - the purple and orange is fantastic! I have been trying to use these colours together ever since I first saw this painting and it's really difficult to not go off the scale and make something horrid! Very clever and very lovely I think. 









No comments:

Post a Comment